Dr. Carolina Brum Medeiros is a researcher and an engineer. She is the founder and CTO of Fliprl, and a research affiliate of the IDMIL Lab in Montreal/Canada, and the Computer Music Group in Sao Paulo/Brazil. She is currently assigned as an algorithms engineer on the Signal Processing and Gesture Recognition team of Project Soli at Google ATAP. She received a B.S. degree in electrical engineering, and a M.S. degree in mechanical engineering 2009 from the Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianópolis, Brazil, and a Ph.D. degree with the Music Technology Program at McGill University in 2015. Her PhD research was dedicated to improve sensing of human input signals, under the supervision of Prof. Marcelo Wanderley (McGill). Her primary research is about sensing and sensor fusion for human motion analysis. Her research aims to highlight the benefits of applying signal processing techniques for systems whose models are hard to define, or for cases where the ground truth is unknown. She collaborated with Prof. Joseph Paradiso (MIT Media Lab) developing data fusion techniques for sensor and motion capture data of baseball pitching. As an engineer and an active person, she is passionate about testing, evaluating, and producing new sensing techniques for motion analysis, posture, and movement awareness.
beauty is at the details | hardware is sculpture
- Sensors and Instrumentation
- Sensor Fusion
- Human Motion Analysis
- Digital Signal Processing and Statistics
- Analog Electronics
- IDMIL (Input Devices and Music Interaction Laboratory);
- ISS/CREATE (Integrated Sensor System Program);
- CIRMMT (Center of Interdisciplinary Research on Media Music and Technology);
- BRAMS (International Laboratory for Brain, Music and Sound Research);
- CRBLM (Center of Research on Brain, Language and Music);
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers) Student Member.
- Carolina Brum Medeiros. Doctorate thesis, McGill University, 2015. Advanced Instrumentation and Sensor Fusion Methods in Input Devices for Musical Expression.
- Carolina B. Medeiros and Marcelo M. Wanderley. “A Comprehensive Review of Sensors and Instrumentation Methods Used in Musical Expression”. Sensors 2014, 14, 13556-13591.
Carolina B. Medeiros and Marcelo M. Wanderley. “Multiple-model Linear Kalman Filter Framework for Unpredictable Signals.” IEEE Sensors Journal, 2013, DOI 10.1109/JSEN.2013.2291683.
- Kaiser, R. Medeiros, C.B. The effect of movement-complexity on perceived audio-visual synchronicity) has been accepted for presentation at the 2014 VSS Annual Meeting in St. Pete Beach, Florida
- Carolina B. Medeiros and Marcelo M. Wanderley. ”Evaluating of sensor technologies for The Rulers, a kalimba-like Digital Musical Instrument”. In Proceedings of the 8th Sound and Music Computing Conference, Padova, Italy, 2011.
- DUTRA, Jair Carlos; DÍAZ, Victor Vergara; SANTOS, Túlio F.; OLIVEIRA, Moises A.; GOHR Jr, Raul; MEDEIROS, Carolina Brum. Monitoring dynamic resistance and force on spot welding process. Revista Innovación, Antofagasta-Chile, p. 27 – 35, 01 jun 2006.
- MEDEIROS, Carolina Brum; ROSA, Edison. Design and development of an acquisition system for strain gage systems. In: Jornadas de Jovenes Investigadores. San Miguel de Tucuman. Argentina. 2005.
- CARVALHO, Juliana Martins de; ROESLER, Rodrigo; MEDEIROS, Carolina Brum. Wireless temperature measurement system for evaluating joint prostheses. In: 2 Brazilian Meeting on Biomechanical Engineering. 2009 (best presentation award).
- Portuguese: git e Lattes